Friday, February 04, 2011

Excellent Alternatives to Here

Throughout the week, I collect urls in a little cyber-stack on my laptop. They're things I intend to comment on because of their awesomeness/humor/snark/unbelievability/whatever... but I never quite get around to it. I present to you this week's gathering.

You probably already saw this because Dooce tweeted it, and enough of you (myself included) flocked to the site to momentarily bring it down. But if you somehow missed it, The Julie Project is heartbreaking. Grab some tissues and prepare to be wrecked. I sure as hell was.

*****
I would like to see this documentary of the Carteret people, climate change refugees:

Sun Come Up Trailer from Sun Come Up on Vimeo.

*****
Speaking of climate change... Wow. That's a lot of snow.

*****
The USDA has decided Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalpha shall go unregulated. Alfalpha is an open-pollinated crop, which means conventional and organic farms will be at risk of contamination. Read more here. And, if you're so inclined, email the White House and let Obama know that you want to maintain the ability to consume organic meat and dairy from animals that haven't been fed genetically engineered crops.

*****
If you saw my post on Wednesday, you already know why you should choo-choo-choose Al Franken to be your valentine. If you missed it, check out the Open Source Democracy Foundation's website for details.

*****
I was 10-years-old when Chernobyl happened. It terrified me. It still does. Chernobyl, 25 years later.

*****
Recently featured on NPR (I have a HUGE crush on NPR), the Born This Way blog is "a photo/essay project for gay adults (male and female) to submit pictures from their childhood (roughly ages 2 to 12) - with snapshots that capture them, innocently, showing the beginnings of their innate LGBT selves." The photos are delightful and the stories insightful.

*****
And finally, at Green Legume I talked about turning down the heat, a challenge to live without plastic for the entire month of February, dumpster diving, and why your soap should be banned.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena