Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Game!

A game! I have a game! It comes with exclamation points! Like I'm shouting! I love shouting games!

Speaking of which, I have to pause my game! story to tell you a different game! story. Have you guys played Zingo? If you haven't, you should. Especially if you have small-ish children. (Though, a fellow adult and I had quite a bit of fun playing the one on display at the toy store a few years ago.) It's like bingo... but with shouting. Shouting! Each player has a "bingo" card with simple pictures on it. Then there's this little plastic thing that dispenses chips with simple pictures on them. If one of the chips matches a picture on your board, you shout it out. "Cat!" you'd say. Or "worm!" Or "kite!" (If you're like me, you get so excited waiting for the next chips to be revealed, that you shout them out as soon as you see them... whether or not they're on your board. Zingo Tourette's, I think you'd call it.) And then you grab the chip with the cat or the worm or the kite and place it on your bingo board. Or, if you've shouted out erroneously, you receive some sort of penalty. I can't remember what the penalty is, though I really should considering how many times I received it. TREE! That's what playing the game with me is like. DOG! Just me, shouting a lot. BAT! This continues until someone's entire board is filled, at which point s/he shouts "Zingo!" So much shouting!

Anyway, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Now. Where was I?

Ah, yes. I have a game! I stole it from Facebook, but don't worry: I will not be asking you to buy me a cow for my farm. Instead, I'll be offering to make you something. Fun!

But let me back up for a minute and start from the beginning.

This morning, a friend of mine posted a new status to her Facebook page announcing that she would make something for the first 5 people who comment. Those 5 people would then be expected to make the same announcement on their own pages, and make something for the first 5 people who comment on their pages. And then those 5 people would make the same announcement, and so on and so on and so on. The rules are simple: the things you make must be homemade by YOU, and you must get them to your 5 people before the end of 2011.

I thought to myself, "Self, that's a whole year! Surely I can make five things in one whole year." And so I commented on her post and now I'm in. On Facebook. But then it occurred to me...

I could make 10 things in one whole year, right? And how much fun would it be to expand this little game (game!) to my bloggy friends? Don't get me wrong - I love my Facebook friends. (Well. Some of them.) But I exist with them in the "real" world. Undertaking the same activity with you guys? It lets me put something 3-dimensional into my cyber world, which is trippy and awesome.

So. The first five people to comment will receive something handmade from yours truly. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm no artist, no seamstress, no gourmet chef. I don't promise that you'll receive something incredibly awesome. But I will make it with love with my own two hands.) If you feel inclined to "pay it forward" and offer the same game! on your own blog, that would be pretty neat. And if you do, I might just try to be one of the first five to comment... which sort of makes it less of a "pay it forward" and more of a "pay it in a circle," but whatevs. Make sure you leave me some way to contact you so that I can get your address when I'm ready to send your thing to you (or you can email it to me now at martinimomblog@gmail.com). If you have a blog or Twitter account or some other online life, please include it in your comment so that I can check you out a bit and do my best to make something you might actually like. And, finally, don't be surprised if it takes me all year to get something to you. I have a whole year, and I intend to use it.

Okay?

Okay.

Ready. Get set. Go!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm a lurker...am I allowed to play? Because I will totally do the same thing on my blog...

Martini Mom said...

Yes, absolutely, lurkers are allowed to play! So glad you're in!

mistermamasir said...

I'm new here but I'd LOVE to play! I've already thought of what I'd make... lol

Count me in!

BigSis said...

Ooooh. That sounds so cool. I want to play! With a full year I'm certain I can meet my part of the deal.

Amy said...

What a great idea... I LOVE crafting!

Anonymous said...

What if... I am from your real world, I don't want to pay it forward, but I want a present? What then?

Martini Mom said...

@Amy: Hurray! Are you and Amy I know, or an Amy I don't know (there are so many of both in the world)? In other words, let me know who you are (if I know you) or where I can learn a bit about you (if I don't) so I can get an appropriate gift to you. You can email me at martinimomblog@gmail.com.

@Anonymous: Which of my many lazy, greedy friends are you? ;)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena