Monday, September 20, 2010

The unnamable baby

The Baby turned 3-weeks-old on Saturday, and we celebrated by refusing to name him.

Here's a tip to all of you future parents out there: settle on a name BEFORE the baby is born. It's much easier to arbitrarily pick a name you like and slap it on the baby the second he exits the birth canal than it is to see him and get to know him and attempt to find a name that actually fits him.

That is what we are struggling with. There's nothing, at least from my perspective, that properly captures this being. He was born into the world in such a way that I thought we were going to lose him. But he muscled through. He suffered a broken collar bone in the process, but he muscled through. He's a strong, tough guy. But he's also wonderfully serene (when he's not hungry or wet or gassy) and observant, which leads me to imagine him growing into a perceptive and calmly wise young man.

Where is the name that is strong and serene and wise?

Add to that struggle the fact that The Man and I do not have similar tastes in baby names. He describes my suggestions as "paste-eater" and "mouth-breather" names. I describe his as unpronouncable and complicated (or, in one instance, a dog's name). I fear we will never agree, and the child will forever be known as Jupiter Bighead.

Suggested so far (though most of these have been crossed off by one or the other of us):

Maceo
Jude
Oliver
Jove
Rex
Lorca
Spica
Finn
Luca
Locke
Avi
Avery
Michael (in honor of The Man's dad)

What would you name this little man (who, by the way, is much more handsome in real life)?

10 comments:

T said...

Girl... naming a baby is tough! They won't even let us out of the hospital around here without a birth certificate so we had to have a name!

What about Ryder? I do like Jude too. Mostly cause its fun to say "Hey Jude!"

*ahem*

Very handsome boy!!

BigLittleWolf said...

He's a cutie. (And of course, the first name has to go with the last name and sound right together.)

It' ain't easy!

Gabe?
Hugh?
Dude? (It works with Jude...)

Good luck!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

I'd name him...ADORABLE, but I'm guessing that will get crossed off too.

Funny how people can totally F up a name for you. I loved the name Jack...until my mother squashed that one. I still love that name!

cassee01 said...

Shea
Grey
Caden
Gabe

Kelly said...

I'm partial to Finn, which was in my list of potential boy names.

Baby Jupiter has provided us with sufficient motivation. I think we're close to a decision.

Good luck!

Cheryl said...

I love the name Maceo (who's the jazz fan, you or The Man?)! Don't use Finn, there are like 9000 Finn's out there right now. My daughter was almost a Finn, and thank goodness I didn't go w/ that. Though of course, I still love that name. Jude is awesome and so is Oliver. But Baby Jupiter is kinda cool, in a weird way. Good luck, whatever you do decide, I'm sure it will fit him perfectly...

Lisa said...

First of all: Congratulations!

I think Jupiter is an awesome name, why don't you just take it?

Jude is very nice, Oliver too.

I like Henry a lot and there's also Lenn, which I love

Nicki said...

Hmmm. When naming my kids, I tried to find names that couldn't be abbreviated. Turns out, EVERYTHING can be abbreviated. Keenan now has friends calling him 'Kep' after his initials. Rachel often becomes Rach.

This time around, if we get a miracle, it will be a name based on his Irish heritage and a meaning that speaks to us.

*Cayden
*Fallon
*Torin
*Aidan

*ahem* I'm just sayin'...

(And he's so handsome!)

Momma Sunshine said...

I LOVE Finn and Avery.

Single Mom Seeking said...

Yep, so adorable!!

Oooh, I like T's suggestion: Ryder.

And I love the name Gabe... So happy for you!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena