Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Blogging by bullets

A quick update:

  • Yes, baby is finally here. No, we haven't named him yet. For now we call him any of the following: Baby, Hey You, Whats-his-name, That Guy, Jupiter BigHead.
  • An actual birth story will be shared... eventually. In the meantime: went into labor early Saturday morning; got to the hospital a little before 5 am; contractions were already very strong and progress was quick; doctor broke my water around 7 am and with the very next contraction I was pushing; on the contraction after that, they told me to stop pushing; I tried - I really, really tried; I had maybe two or three more contractions and it was time; after two contractions/pushes, the threat of a vacuum was issued (baby in distress); on the third contraction, I was determined - three pushes and his enormous head was out; on the next push, bad things happened; the panic button was pushed; more nurses/doctors arrived; the weight of an entire medical team was pushing on my abdomen; everyone looked panicked; and then the relief of the rest of his body sliding out.
  • He was born at 7:41 a.m., weighing 9lbs 8oz
  • His shoulders had gotten stuck on my pelvis. He was trapped, hence the panic.
  • Despite his forced exit, neither of his shoulders was fractured.
  • I wanted to go natural, and I did. No epidural.
  • I know natural is not for everyone, but I'm not going to lie: it's hard to deny how bad ass you are after something like that. I am bad ASS, people.
  • I'm recovering nicely, needing nothing more than ibuprofren for the dull throb in my undercarriage.
  • My milk is in.
  • Baby is not a natural nurser, but we're working on it and he's getting better. Docs are concerned about his weight and his blood sugars, since he's not (or hadn't been) eating well. Weight will be checked tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident that the recent improvements in latch-on will mean everything's back on track.
  • He's borderline jaundicey. Not of concern yet, but we're keeping an eye on it.
  • I'm not bragging, but he's sleeping 5 hours at night. FIVE FREAKING HOURS. The Kid didn't do that until he was nearly a year old.
  • Ironically, I can not be entirely pleased about the previous bullet. Given the weight/nursing issues, he really should be eating every 2 hours.
  • The Kid is a really awesome big brother and mother's helper. I couldn't be more pleased with him. Both baby and kid are currently crashed out in the living room, snoring in unison.
  • The Man is a really awesome dad. I couldn't be more pleased with him either. (Though I wish he didn't have to work this week. I am NOT pleased with The Man's boss.)
  • The kitchen is nearly done, but the house is still completely torn apart. Should be done this week. Meanwhile, we're hanging out at my mom's place during the day.
  • And now The Babyis awake, so this post must come to an end. More later...

6 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Congrats, new mommy! You are bad ass!! :) Enjoy the extension of the family!!

MindyMom said...

You pushed a nearly 10 lb baby out of your va-jay-jay with NO epidural? Yes, you ARE bad ass! I may have birthed 4 children myself but I am in awe.

Oh, and a BIG congrats to you and your family. Now go name that kid already!

T said...

Rock the eff on bad ass momma!

Wow. Sounds like everything is wonderful and/or working its way there!

Congratulations!

bluzdude said...

Congratulations! Glad everyone is ok.

Nicki said...

Yayyyy! New baby! And I'm so impressed. No epidural?! You are my hero.

Don't forget to take care of yourself.

uncouthheathen said...

Sorry I'm so late on this but CONGRATULATIONS! YAY!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena