Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Band of brothers

I spent a good portion of my pregnancy worried about how The Kid would handle having a little brother after 9 years as an only child. I worried that he wouldn't understand why all my attention was suddenly redirected towards someone else; worried that he would resent The Baby; worried that he would feel neglected. I envisioned a 9-year-old wallowing in self-pity.

I grossly underestimated my child.

Instead, The Kid has been nothing but an attentive older brother. He wanders over to gently pet The Baby's head whenever I'm nursing. He peppers his cheeks with soft kisses. He sits perfectly still on the couch, patiently waiting for the chance to hold the little one. He sets aside toys and blankets to pass on, and makes plans for teaching The Baby to play soccer and skateboard. He comes running to The Baby's play mat when he starts to cry and vigorously shakes the nearest rattle. When The Baby is inconsolable and screaming in my arms, he thoughtfully goes through the checklist with me: is he hungry? is he wet? does he have a poopy? maybe he's sleepy? maybe he misses his daddy? When I'm inconsolable after hours of rocking an inconsolable baby, he sits at my side and gently rubs my back. And when he tires of being an older brother and runs off to play, he always tells me where he's going, just in case I might need his help with anything.

Yesterday at school, he was given an assignment to write a thank you letter to anyone in the whole world. He picked his baby brother:
Dear Jupiter Bighead,

Thanks for many things. I appreciate you being born. I also thank you for taking good naps. Finally, thanks for being cute.

Love,
The Kid
May things always be this good, forever and ever, amen.

5 comments:

T said...

Oh my goodness that made me cry.

Awwwwww!!!! How lucky are you?!?

Momma Sunshine said...

Wow. That's so wonderful. :-) That's quite a kid you've got there!!!

bluzdude said...

Wow... that's amazing.

Ya done good with that one.

Nicki said...

So perfect. So wonderful. So very happy for you.

Wretched Delilah said...

That made me cry too. Wow. What amazing children you have.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena