Monday, August 23, 2010

Update: No kitchen; No baby.

It's August 23 (my official due date) and I have neither baby nor kitchen. I wasn't expecting the kitchen to be done, but for a while my doc had me pretty convinced that the baby would come early. I'm now beginning to fear that this one might take after his brother (who was 2 weeks late) or his father (who was 3 weeks late).

The kitchen, on the other hand, is chugging right along, despite even further set backs with the backsplash tile. At this point, I think we've been through 6 different backsplash scenarios due to cost, crazy walls, and discontinued merchandise. The (hopefully) final tile will be here sometime this week, I believe. And the floor should be coming tomorrow. Once the floor is in, we can roll the appliances back into the kitchen and put our living and dining rooms back together.

In the meantime, please enjoy some photos of our progress.


The cabinets are in! They have doors and everything now! This, of course, is a photograph of the cabinets above the stove... you know, where my microwave won't be. No worries. There's now a lovely hood installed in that space. The best hood. It said so right on the box.


And here are some more cabinets and COUNTER TOP! I was so excited to see the counter top going in, I can't even tell you. We selected the best we could find in our price range, but I was a little concerned that I wasn't going to like it. Thankfully, it looks great. And I think the tile (assuming we actually end up with what we last ordered) will look fantastic with it.


And look! A pantry! This is probably one of my favorite parts. It's certainly not an expansive pantry; in fact, it's just barely deep enough to hold a box of cereal. But it does hold a box of cereal, as well as many, many other things. And so I love it. Extra credit to the contractors for figuring out how to work it in.

And this photo of purply paint on the ceiling is another of my favorite parts. Why? Because there used to be popcorn ceiling there. All hail smooth ceilings!

I took this photo the day the lights were finally installed. After months without electricity in the kitchen, this was a pretty big day.

There are even lights under the cabinets. How 20th century is that?!


This photo is of the day I came home to discover that the new faucet was hooked up. We were without running water in the kitchen for a loooooong time, and doing the dishes squatted over the bathtub was getting old...


...which explains why my excitement was so great as to inspire me to photograph the running water. Yay!

Of course, it wasn't such a yay when we discovered that the pipes under the sink weren't quite water proof. Bummer. But that'll get fixed soon enough. Having an uncle who's a plumber has its distinct advantages.

We've unpacked most of our stuff back into the kitchen (except for that one cupboard that is mysteriously missing its shelves - remind me to ask the contractor about that one), and we've got plenty of space left over.

So, while the kitchen's not quite done, it's far enough along that I feel okay about the baby being born now. D'ya hear that, Baby? Come out, come out, wherever you are. I would like my abdomen back to myself now, please.

5 comments:

BigSis said...

It's looking good. Can't wait to see the end result. Oh, and the baby too :)

Anonymous said...

The farm sink will be very handy for bathing the new baby without breaking your back. Good luck!

T said...

Beautiful!!! I love that kitchen!!

Come on baby!

It's A Yoga Thang said...

LURV the kitchen. Can't wait to see baby pics! Love to you all. OX

Cheryl said...

I <3 farm sinks!! The kitchen looks awesome. Hopefully, by now, it's actually done. :-)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena