Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Practically a man

The Kid says some bizarre stuff, and occasionally I'm lucky enough to record it. This is something I scribbled down furiously as he ranted one night at dinner, probably two years ago. I don't remember now what the context was (a water shortage, I think), but I can still vividly remember the passion imbued in his short speech.
"We would have dishes up to the ceiling in the whole house, and we'd have to spend the rest of our lives outside. We'd have to get a tent and just live there. And that's fine for sleeping, but what if there's a thunder storm? You'd have to go back in the house to be safe. Who cares about a bunch of dirty dishes in a thunderstorm?!"

Who cares, indeed. Such a delightfully odd little boy. His ninth birthday is tomorrow, and I can hardly believe it. It seems only a short time ago that he was the baby in my belly. And look at us now.


Happy birthday, my little bug.

5 comments:

BigSis said...

I love the ribcage sticking out as if to say, "Feed me!" He'll always be your baby!

Anonymous said...

My baby turned 25 yesterday on the 13th. He was born during the Live Aid concert. Happy Birthday to your boy!

T said...

Born during Live Aid? Wow. Hope Anon was at least home or at the hospital during the birth and not at the concert. Although...it would be a cool place to say you were born, right?

Great pic! Happy birthday baby boy! (My oldest turns 9 in Sept. Man they grow up fast!)

You look awesome!

It's A Yoga Thang said...

This is beautiful, the Kid's words and your belly.

Ms. Single Mama said...

YOU are pregnant. God I have been out of it with house shopping and dating and raising. SO happy for you.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena