Sunday, January 10, 2010

The miscarriage that wasn't

Last night was spent in the ER.

The Man and I went out for dinner, and stopped by Whole Foods on the way home. Walking out of the store I felt something I shouldn't: I felt like I started my period. When we got home, I went straight to the bathroom to investigate and found waaaaaaaaay too much blood for any normal first-trimester "spotting."

I sat and stared at the mess in my underwear. And then I wiped and stared at the mess on the toilet paper.

Oh lordy.

"Honey...?" I called. "I need to go to the doctor."

We sped to the ER, certain that I was miscarrying. After a fair amount of waiting around to be seen, an ER doctor performed a pelvic exam (which I was able to watch reflected in the mirror behind his head - not awesome). His suspicion after the exam was that the miscarriage was complete, but he ordered an ultrasound to be sure.

There was plenty of more waiting while we watched a little Austin City Limits (Gnarls Barkley and Thievery Corporation), tried to get used to the idea that we were no longer pregnant, and wondered how much this little ER visit would cost us.

Finally I was wheeled up to ultrasound and, after answering more (of the exact same) questions, the ultrasound began. She wanted to take a look at my uterus, ovaries, and kidneys. She started with my uterus, for obvious reasons, and on her first super-zoom-in, we all saw it. The Man let out an audible gasp.

There was clearly a little bean with a perfectly active heartbeat in there. I hadn't miscarried! (But then, what the hell was all that blood about?)

At the conclusion of the ultrasound, I was wheeled back down to the ER to wait for my eventual diagnosis: threatened miscarriage. The ultrasound showed a uterine hematoma near where the placenta is forming and attaching. Otherwise, everything looks normal and my hormone levels are right where they should be. That's the "good" news. The bad news is that a threatened miscarriage increases the likelihood that I'll actually miscarry.

For now, all I can do is take it easy and wait to see what happens. It's only been 24 hours, and the waiting is already killing me.

11 comments:

Nicki said...

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. As a woman who had a stillbirth at 27 weeks, I understand the loss and fear.

Let me know if you ever need to talk. I'm a great listener.

Hang in there.

adrienzgirl said...

Patience is not my strong suit either. I will keep you in my prayers though!

BigSis said...

I'm sending tons of positive thoughts your way!

MindyMom said...

Yikes! What a scare. I hope everything turns out okay.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

detroitmommy said...

That's always a scary situation to be in. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you that everything will continue to turn out ok.

T said...

Wow, honey! My skin is crawling! I can't imagine what you're feeling! Be safe. Be strong. Be calm...

Sending you good thoughts!

Not a soccer mom said...

I am semi-new to your blog but so happy to read this post!!!!
My mother had a stillborn and miscarried a child before me, and I know the heartache she felt.
Good luck through the last trimester!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

I'm sure the relief I felt after reading that all was fine after the ultrasound was nothing compared to how you felt!

And so you're not out of the woods yet - just keep thinking positively. My Ob/Gyn once said that bleeding, even a fair amount, can be quite normal during pregnancy. It happens and babies still get born happy and healthy.

Love and best wishes to you, The Man and The Kid. x

Nova said...

I'm new to your blog but I wish you well and hope that the pregnancy progresses without anymore hiccups.

Momma Sunshine said...

Sending you all the postive thoughts that I have your way. Keep us posted.

*hugs*

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

I can't even imagine. Thinking of you! I'll be checking back often!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena