Friday, November 06, 2009

Glimpses

Last month I took a spin as a guest DJ on MusicSavvyMom.com. The premise of the guest DJ is simple: throw your iPod on shuffle and send MusicSavvyMom the first 10 songs that come up.

I was interested in playing along because this is a game I play myself when my iPod is on shuffle, only I take it a step further: if I had only the next 10 songs to guide me, what kind of person would I imagine myself to be? This is always an interesting exercise because I have a fairly wide range of music on my iPod, and it always chooses these times to play the most obscure selections (though it stuck to "normal" selections for MusicSavvyMom).

I love the silly little glimpses we get into each other's worlds through our music, our books, the food in our refrigerators, the contents of our purses. Here's a glimpse into mine.

The 10 songs that made it to my MusicSavvyMom.com shuffle:
  1. Take on Me by AC Newman
  2. Saturday Waits by Loney, Dear
  3. Billie Holiday by Warpaint
  4. Rains on Me by Tom Waits
  5. Leave Me (Like You Found Me) by Wilco
  6. Blue by Cat Power
  7. Don't Let Me Down by The Beatles
  8. Goodbye California by Jolie Holland
  9. Endless Shovel by Rogue Wave
  10. Pink Bullets by The Shins
The first 10 books on the second shelf of my book case:
  1. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
  2. Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
  3. Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
  4. Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid
  5. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  6. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
  7. Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
  8. Drop City by T.C. Boyle
  9. My Brother by Jamaica Kincaid
  10. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The food on the middle shelf in my fridge:
  1. Strawberries just past their prime
  2. Left over risotto
  3. Baking soda
  4. Large container of cream cheese
  5. Roasted red pepper hummus
  6. Refried beans
  7. Half empty package of string cheese
  8. Turkey baby food
  9. Canned pumpkin
  10. Honey ham sandwich meat
The contents of my purse:
  1. Wallet
  2. A $200.05 receipt from Metropolitan Market
  3. The broken part of my key chain
  4. Stila lip glaze in blackberry
  5. Kiss My Face organic lip balm in treat mint
  6. Cell phone (the "free with your plan, no frills" variety)
  7. Another receipt from Metropolitan Market, this one listing portabella mushrooms, large lemon, Lea & Perrins sauce, bulk onion flakes, canned pumpkin, and one egg
  8. One wadded up kleenex
  9. One hair band
  10. An unidentifiable plastic stick of some sort
  11. Burt's Bees aloe and witch hazel hand sanitizer
  12. Similason homeopathic allergy eye relief drops
  13. A plastic spoon
  14. Reading glasses
  15. ATM receipt
  16. The case for my iPod (iPod not found)
  17. A pamphlet on genital herpes (which I do not have)
  18. A copy of a friend's obituary
  19. A pencil sketch of yours truly
  20. My most recent pay stub
  21. Two more wadded up kleenex
  22. The yogurt I forgot to eat for breakfast this morning
  23. Old grocery list
  24. Aha! There's my iPod!
  25. Three pens, all of which were stolen from work. But not intentionally.

2 comments:

adrienzgirl said...

Ooo...posting what's in my fridge. Uh....NO! I would totally be here for days.

T said...

I LOVE this post. That's awesomeness right there.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena