Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving thanks

Tomorrow is it: the last day before a four-day weekend. I can not begin to tell you how excited I am for this break. It will, however, be bitter sweet. I'll be alone for most of it. The Kid will be with his dad and The Man will be heading back to TX/OK to be with his daughters.

In the early years, the holidays without my son were hard and I had to be very deliberate in my attempts to keep my mind off the fact that he was someplace else. The first Christmas I spent without him probably would have killed me, had my mother - in her infinite wisdom - not arranged for us to volunteer at a half-way house for the day. We made and served Christmas brunch to over 100 homeless men and women being treated for various addictions. I didn't have time to think about missing my kiddo, but even if I'd found a second, there's no room for self-pity in a place like that.

Divorced moms know how to take care of their divorced daughters.

But that was many years ago. I've been doing this single parent thing long enough now that I've learned to appreciate my time alone... even when it happens over a holiday.

So while I will miss both of my boys terribly this Thanksgiving, I will very much enjoy the time I will spend curled up with a glass of wine and a good book. Or curled up with a glass of wine and a journal. Or lounging on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie. Or getting some online Christmas shopping done away from the crowds. With a glass of wine.

I'll have dinner with my mom on Thanksgiving. But otherwise, I'm going to relax the fuck out of this weekend. And that is truly something to be thankful for.

5 comments:

Nicki said...

I completely understand. Last year I had to go home, I couldn't handle the idea of being alone. (Sam was working and the kids were with their dad.) This year, I was HOPING for alone time, but my friends won't have it. Out of five days kid-free, I'm looking at maybe one evening alone. I probably won't even uncork a bottle for that. So, have a glass and think of me. ;)

adrienzgirl said...

Here, Here! Cheers!

Happy Thanksgiving!

G.~ said...

As a former single mom, I completely identify with you in most of your posts. I usually invite my stray friends over for holidays. Those who really had no families or don't like their families. The "friend" holidays are much more fun.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Gina

MindyMom said...

Sounds good.

Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy that wine!

Cheers.

PS - you, me and dadshouse all have the same post title today. We're SO original! ;)

Bobbi Janay @When did I go from a kid to a grown up? said...

Funny you write about this I am sending my Boys to my Il's so that I may also have so alone time.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena