Monday, November 09, 2009

Covers that don't suck

For one reason or another, the kids I work with have been downloading what seems like nothing but covers lately.

And not all of them done well.

I have nothing against a properly executed cover. I am not one who thinks a great song should be encapsulated in a chastity belt of amber, never to be played by any but its original creator.

But really? If I have to hear this crap many more times, there will be an aneurysm:



Now, I understand that a lot of you love this cover. A LOT of you. And, okay sure, I can recognize that maybe it's a decent reworking of the song. But why? Why that song? Why did anyone think that particular song needed to be proliferated any more than it already has been? Every time I hear it I walk around with that fucking "wa oh oh" lick stuck in my head for a week.

But, I've been a little hard on the boys and their covers lately. This afternoon, the youngest one skipped through the ending of a cover of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" just to get me to shut up about it. I tried to like that one, I really did. But I couldn't. My mom used to sing that song to me (which is maybe an odd song for a mother to sing to her daughter as a lullaby, but there you have it) and this version sounded all not folky; this version sounded like something that wouldn't allow itself to be in the same room as anything even remotely macrame.

Take away macrame and you're seriously fucking with my childhood.

But anyway.

Despite what I may have led people to believe, I am not a cover hater. So long as the covers don't suck. These, for example, are all acceptable options readily available from my iPod.

And now I have to apologize because I just spent the past hour and a half blipping a bunch of covers, expecting that I'd be able to embed them here just like I used to. But either Blip has changed its embedding policies or I'm too bleary eyed to figure it out right now. As a temporary (or permanent) solution, I've added them all to a blip playlist, which you can find here: http://blip.fm/profile/MartiniMom/playlist. However, I'm not even certain you can see my playlist... if that's the case, go to my station and listen to Tom Waits through Jimi Hendrix. Oy.

A quick summary:
  1. Sea of Love - Tom Waits
  2. Neverending Math Equation - Sun Kil Moon
  3. Wonderwall - Ryan Adams*
  4. Just Can't Get Enough - Nouvelle Vague
  5. Needle in the Hay - Melissa Laveaux
  6. High and Dry - Jorge Drexler**
  7. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley***
  8. Such Great Heights - Iron and Wine***
  9. Mad World - Gary Jules
  10. Inside and Out - Feist
  11. Boyz-N-the Hood - Dynamite Hack*
  12. New York - Cat Power
  13. A Change is Gonna Come - Ben Sollee****
  14. Take on Me - A.C. Newman*
  15. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix***
And now it's your turn. What are your favorite covers? Don't be shy. I promise not to mock you with the same fervor I turn on my coworkers.

*Guilty pleasure.

**Too many people cover Radiohead. I've noticed a similar trend lately with MGMT. Branch out people.


***Better than the original.


****Pure unadulterated sacrilege. But I like it. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

7 comments:

Nicki said...

Hey, don't knock your mom's choice of lullaby. I used to sing Rachel 'Hotel California.' You should know like every other mother, there's no explanation for what pops into our heads at 3am in desperation to get some much needed sleep.

You're doing great on achieving your goal, by the way. (Although I was getting a little worried for you when you were listing the contents of your purse...)

That One Mom said...

Hahaha! My mom used to sing Tommy and Laura and The Last Kiss to me as lullabys.... Talk about weird - "Hey! I should sing my kids songs about teens in love that die! That's an amazing lullaby!" LOL!

Totally agree about Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah!

Restless Mama said...

That's my first time hearing the Beyonce cover - it's just as annoying as the song itself.
I love that you listen to Tom Waits but the Modest Mouse cover freaks me out. Only because I love Modest Mouse and really don't like anyone who covers their songs.
I'll admit it - I'm a music fascist. But if you're from Seattle you kinda have to be....right? *wink*
Nice list lady.

turtle said...

My mother sang to me two equally fucked up songs: Last Kiss and Me and Little Andy. This fact explains so much.

soccer mom in denial said...

I sing The Rose to my kids. One is home sick with the flu and after channeling Bette he asked me to sing Amazing Grace. And we're not a very religious family. Not sure where that request came from.

Ri, the Music Savvy Mom said...

You keep coming out with cool music posts like this, I may have to ask you to help me with the World Domination, kiddo. ;)

Admittedly, I phoned this one in on a "oh crap, I need a post" day, but here you go with mine: http://musicsavvymom.com/2009/08/ducks-and-covers/

(oh, and Jeff Buckley FTW.)

Martini Mom said...

Ha! I love that almost all of you have stories about bizarre lullabies.

Ri: World Domination has a nice ring to it. ;) Going to check your link right now...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena