Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Enjoy my silence

Yes, The Man is here. He's been here for a little over two weeks, and we are adjusting to living together. I've not written about it because I'm not sure how to do that yet. The Man has always read my blog, so I'm not sure why writing about him and us feels different - more dangerous - now that he's here. But it does.

I think it's the proximity. It's hard to write about us with one half of us sitting at the other end of the couch gazing at me while I type. Seriously. Staring at me. AWKWARD.

But really, it's the fact that we're still bumpy. We're still adjusting. Things are good, but they're not perfect. Not yet. And there are feelings being hurt often enough without me joking about things like couch gazing.

It's also difficult - nearly impossible, really - for me to write amidst ANY sort of distractions. I am a quiet, still room kind of writer. An alone kind of writer. And, for obvious reasons, there hasn't been much in the way of alone time since The Man arrived. Writing even this short and rather pointless post has been a ridiculously laborious process.

We're getting our mutual groove worked out though, and rather quickly for two people who've gone from seeing each other twice a year to living together. I'll be back soon, so help me god. And I'll bring tales to tell.

4 comments:

Nicki said...

As a single mom now living with her boyfriend...I completely get it. We've been adapting to each other's ways for four months now. The growing pains subside in some areas and then appear in new ones. But somehow, I know if we make it through this our relationship will be stronger and better than before.
Have faith. This too shall pass.

T said...

Maybe you could suggest to him that he not read the blog? This is your outlet. I would think he'd understand that.

Oh and also tell him that we look like Seattle here in Dallas now too.

Sheesh with this RAIN!

Single Mom Seeking said...

You have no idea how much I relate to this post!!

I like T's suggestion re: asking the boyfriend not to read your blog for a while, but reassuring him that you will talk about whatever issues you post. That's what I do, anyway....

I'm also an ALONE writer! And it's not always easy for me to ask for some alone time. Here's what I do lately, if we're together and I'm writing: put in my earplugs and listen to music. (Just tune him out. Ha ha!)

MindyMom said...

I can't even imagine what it would be like to live with a man again. It's been almost eight years since I've been divorced and frankly I have a hard time figuring out how I managed to live with my ex for 13 years!

I hope you can find some alone time to 'alone write'.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena