Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Missing him

The Kid left on Monday morning for a week in San Diego with his grandma. He doesn't go away for extended periods of time often; usually just long weekends here and there with his dad. But regardless of the length of time, I always hate it when he's away.

And also kind of love it.

It's nice to have a break sometimes. This single-parenting thing is exhausting and I usually take advantage of the opportunity to nap luxuriously. And then I clean my house and marvel at how long it stays clean. And then I catch up with a book and maybe some friends. And in the end, I'm ready for him to come home, but I've enjoyed the time he's away.

But this time? Not so much.

He's been transitioning lately; coming into his own a bit. In the past few weeks, numbers of neighbors and friends have commented on how more grown up he seems; how comfortable and confident he's becoming. He's initiating conversations with people he was too shy to look in the eye a month ago. And he's initiating interesting conversations; conversations that go well beyond which Pokemon card he has yet to add to his collection (though those conversations are still quite prevalent).

It's those conversations I'm missing; his often startling insights into the tales of my day; his jokes, even the ones that revolve entirely around fart noises.

I miss just chatting with him, my little mini roommate.

I also miss his fashion choices. Cleaning out my office, I came across my camera and remembered some photos I'd taken last week in an effort to document three of his current fashion musts.


Number One: these shoes, because anything with a skull is automatically awesome.


Number Two: this hat, which I have to admit, I love on him. And Number Three: this expression, because everyone knows the perfect pout is paramount.


I am determined to make the most of this week to myself. But I'm ready for him to come home anytime.

2 comments:

T said...

What great pics! And what a fashionisto! Heh. As opposed to the fashionista 7 year old daughter I have...

Enjoy your week!

Anonymous said...

I completely understand why you're missing him. Why look at him. He is so cute. He's making me miss my own son who is just away at school today. Enjoy your time!

dawn2u

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena