Monday, March 16, 2009

Rituals

A friend of mine likes to go hiking through graveyards. Or, at least, he often finds himself in one at the end of a hike. You may think the obvious question here is: "Where on earth is this guy taking his hikes?" But you would be wrong. The obvious question here, according to him, is this: "Do people really need a place to visit their dead?"

You see, he is not a burial fan. More of a cremation guy, if you will. But having spent so much time loitering in cemeteries, he's witnessed enough (literal) drive-by mournings that he's wondering if a designated place is, in fact, important.

He asked my opinion and I believe I gave something of a non-committal shrug. There are a few places that remind me of my dad; places I can go if I feel the need. But do I ever? Not so much. I'm not much of a burial fan either. (And my dad's not buried in any of those places anyway. Or anywhere, for that matter.)

And then... ha! My dad's birthday happened. I drank a Rainier, like I do every year. My mom took me to lunch at his once favorite vegetarian restaurant. And my brother got a tattoo of a canary (the old man worked at a coal mine).

In light of this, I would like to change my non-committal shrug to a "yup, assuming the 'place' can be defined as the bottom of a can of cheap beer, a patchouli-smelling eatery, or above your right elbow."

1 comment:

Mrs4444 said...

True. My best friend found herself in the cemetary one night this week, at 11pm, hugging her 17-year-old son's gravestone, crying her eyes out. I don't think the cemetary would do it for me, but I know I would need "a place."

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena