Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Little pig, little pig, LET ME IN!

The economy is knocking at my door, huffing and puffing and blowing my little house down.

Today news came that I am moving to a 4-day work week and taking a 20% pay cut. This would be a fantastic deal, if only I made 20% more than I do. But, alas. I make what I make, and I need what I make (made) in order to pay my mortgage.

HUFF!

On the other hand, this little piggy has spent most of her life being broke. This little piggy used to take calculator duty, adding up groceries as Mother Piggy shopped. This little piggy yanked flowers out of her neighbor's yard and sold them door-to-door when her allowance faced budget cuts. This little piggy rocked the thrift shops before Cobain made it trendy. And this little piggy learned to reuse and recycle every little scrap of everything long before Al Gore invented global warming.

Puff?

This little piggy excels at pinching a penny. So as long as I've still got pennies to pinch, you can go blow your Big Bad Economy breath somewhere else. Because guess what my house is made of. Take a good hard look. You know what that is, Economy?

That's BRICK, mutha fucka.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where you work or if your employer is willing to go to the effort to participate but there is a program through unemployment called The Shared-Work Program. It offers the employers of Washington state an alternative to layoffs of skilled employees during times of temporary economic downturn.
You can find out more about it here http://www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/faq/shared-work.php - basically allows employers to reduce hours and you get to collect unemployment for the reduction in your work hours. Helps take the sting out of it a bit.

Lara said...

haha! Love that last part.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena