Saturday, December 06, 2008

Damn near perfect

I have been having a string of difficult days for a while now. Not bad days, necessarily - just very, very trying, exhausting days. But this day was different. This day was, dare I say it? Pleasant. Absolutely pleasant, from beginning to end.

It started with a lazy morning. I had a bit of a medical procedure yesterday that left me feeling less pain than I was expecting, but far more sleepy than I ever could've imagined. Miraculously, The Kid was content to play relatively quietly in his room this morning, leaving me to doze to his soundtrack of lightsabers and blasters until 11:00 a.m.

When I finally rolled out of bed, I treated myself to a shower so luxurious it even included shaving my legs. Out of the shower I found The Kid already dressed and amenable to a day of running errands. And so we were off.

Lunch? Check. Target? Check. Barnes & Noble? Check. Coffee? Check. Pier 1? Check. Birthday present for tomorrow's party? New tea pot (whistling this time, so I won't scald yet another one)? Annual book for The Ex (someone's gotta keep him literate)? Christmas gifts for The Kid's little friends? Check. Check. Check. Check. We plowed through our day quickly and easily, and somehow managed to have a really good time while we did it.

On the way home we stopped to pick out a Christmas tree. We found one we liked at the first place we tried (never happens) for a reasonable price (never happens) and got it home and into the tree stand without an argument (NEVER happens). Then we ordered a pizza and spent our night decorating the tree and talking about books.

There was nothing so extraordinary about the day, but everything just seemed to go right. And part way through it, as we skipped out of Pier 1, The Kid gave my hand a squeeze and said, "I'm glad you're my mom."

Really. Does it get any better?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does sound damn near perfect. I don't believe people quite understand how amazing a day like that is when you have children. I am so happy for you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena