Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You gotta have friends

A few years ago, I was standing in a friend's kitchen surrounded by a throng of fellow party-goers. I was chatting with two friends about god knows what - sex? music? the fall of the Roman empire? - when the one of them suddenly and inexplicably lunged into the middle of our little circle, thrusting her red keg cup out in front of her. Mildly stunned, the two of us left standing there looked on, heads cocked, trying to determine what our lunging friend was up to.

But she just held her position, still lunging, still offering up her drink like a sacrificed lamb to the gods. Without any other clues, we responded in the only appropriate manner: we lunged too, and held up our respective glasses. And there we were, the three of us lunging into the center of a circle.

Then, with no further explanation, she stood back up. We followed suit. We stood and looked at each other; two of us quizzical, one as if nothing unusual had just happened.

And then she did it again and, again, we followed into the lunge. But this time, I couldn't contain my giggles. "I don't know what we're doing," I laughed. "I feel like you want me to spit in it," said the other, referring to the grandly presented cup.

Finally, our little lunger explained her theory. Do something bizarre, with no explanation whatsoever, and the people who are right there with you, the people who play along with no questions asked, those people are your friends.

I think that's why this video always makes me so happy.


Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena