Sunday, November 09, 2008

Just another day at the office

I seem to have a knack for finding jobs that are confusing to other people. "How do you market a law firm?" they used to ask. And now they just stare. Apparently, "project management for a design firm" is not any simpler to understand.

I try to explain. A project comes in. I gather up all the details: the goals, the budget, the timeline, the tasks necessary to accomplish. I figure out what needs to be done and when, and then what needs to be done after that. Then I assign the tasks out to the team of designers, taking care not to totally screw up the schedules of all the other projects we're working on. And then I nag until things are done to my satisfaction. It's a lot like choreographing 30 ballets on the same stage at the same time.

Oddly enough, the dance reference doesn't help most people, and in the end everyone still ends up thinking I'm a designer. Which is better than before, when they all assumed I was an attorney.

So. To simplify. I tell designers what to do all day. That's my job. I also laugh at them, tell jokes at their expense, and steal their music. But that's not part of the job.

Here. I've even made a visual aid to help clarify. I call it "Monday Morning."



Yes. That should clear things right up.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena