Monday, November 10, 2008

Accomplished

Today [drum roll] my trees were pruned!!

While this may seem like little to celebrate, this particular item has been on my to-do list for no less than 2 1/2 years. A few months ago, I cleaned out the "office" and turned it into an office. This impressive removal of quotation marks was at least four years in the making. And about a month ago, I hauled stuff to the dump that has been sitting in the "dump" corner of my basement for at least three years.

There is still plenty left to get through. "Paint the house" has been on the list since I bought the place six years ago. I still need to finish the patio I started three summers ago. Fix the chimney flu? Still working on it. Install dishwasher? Hasn't happened yet. And so on, and so on. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I've just never had the time to dedicate. The Kid was a year old when we moved in. A divorce happened nine months later. And the single mom thing just doesn't leave a whole hell of a lot of time for fixing chimney flus. There are (or were, until very recently) still entire rooms in this house that I hadn't claimed as my own after The Ex moved out.

But I no longer spend my weekends at the office. And, though The Kid's advanced age brings extracurricular activities like home work and soccer games and sleep-overs to coordinate, it also means that he can keep himself entertained for an hour or two while I get some shit done. And so, I have lately been able to chip away at some long overdue home improvement projects, put my mark on my very own property, and settle in. This place is finally starting to feel like home.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena