Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Overheard at the coffee shop

Driving home from work Monday night, I found myself bumper to "McCain/Palin '08" bumper with some sort of Mercedes-looking SUV. "Huh," I thought to myself, "Ballsy move in Seattle to so loudly proclaim your Republicanism."

Such a thing is likely to get a Mercedes-looking window blown out by an Obama-supporting rock.

I'm a little intrigued at my own surprise in finding myself face to face (bumper to bumper) with a proud McCain supporter. I guess I'd fooled myself into believing that they were mythical fairy creatures, these blatant McCain-ers, found only in the enchanted woods of Ireland, or the depths of an innocent child's imagination or, you know, Texas.

But it happened again this morning at my favorite coffee shop. Three middle-aged men had taken over the prime seating area and were loudly discussing their world views. In the interest of time, it should suffice to say that these guys were not big Obama fans. The last little bit of conversation went something like this:

"Duh! Why didn't that come up six months ago. The guy doesn't know what he's doing."

"Exactly! Foreign policy, my ass."

"Right! Good thing other countries don't get a vote. They LOVE Obama."

"Yeah. You know why they love Obama?" [pause for effect] "Because he's easy."

And then, muttered from somewhere behind the counter, quietly enough to be denied but loudly enough to be heard by all: "Same reason I love yo' momma."

And now it is my even favoriter coffee shop.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Haha! Wish I were there to hear that.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena