Monday, January 14, 2008

Paradigm shift

I had been planning to skip the whole resolution thing this year, not because I feared I would only let myself down, but because my resolutions tend to be pretty lame in the first place. Generally, I can't think of anything ambitious enough to count as a bonafide resolution, and so I end up just making a list of things I hope to have completed by the end of the year. Things like "finish the patio." And that's just silly because I certainly don't need the excuse of a new year to post a mammoth to-do list on my refrigerator.

Upon further consideration, however, it has become clear that there's one very obvious change I should make over the next year. You may be familiar with my constant complaint of exhaustion and lack of anything resembling free time. You may be even more familiar with my - until recently - standing theory that both were directly related to my former job. If so, you may have noticed, with as much despair as I, that despite my new job there are still only 24 hours in any given day. And while spending fewer of those hours arguing with obstinate attorneys has certainly left me with more patience at the end of the day, it hasn't left me with any more time. As it turns out, a new job does not negate the fact that I am, indeed, a single mother with a very full plate.

So, here's the necessary change: I need to accept that I am very busy. I will continue to be very busy for the foreseeable future. It is simply not possible for me to get everything done that needs to get done. And (here's the really important part) I need to let myself off the flippin' hook already.

To that end, I hereby resolve the following:
  1. I will let the dirty dishes sit in the sink just one more day.
  2. I will allow the toilet to boast the sticky yellow evidence of a 6-year old boy.
  3. I will invite friends over for dinner and then serve them pizza.
  4. I will read a book before the laundry is folded.
  5. I will spend more time playing with action figures and less time accidentally vacuuming their heads off.
  6. I will get more sleep.
  7. I will drink more wine.
  8. And I will smile more often.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like an excellent plan that I could adopt myself.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena