Monday, January 21, 2008

Dumb and dumber

When The Kid and I sat down for lunch yesterday at a neighborhood cafe, we found ourselves surrounded by what appeared to be first dates. Sadly, I don't believe there will be second dates for either of these couples. Feast your ears on a sample of the conversation from the table behind us:

"Yeah, I guess they don't have many oysters in Utah, huh?"

"I'm not from Utah. I'm from Oklahoma."

"Whatever."

"They're two completely different states, but yeah, whatever."

"You're Mormon though, right?"

"There are Mormons outside of Utah."

"Yeah, but I'm just saying, like, you're REALLY Mormon, right? Like, into it, right?"

"Um, no, not really."

"Whatever. You have The Mormon Book."

"Book of Mormon."

"Whatever."


As delightful as it was eavesdropping on that train wreck of a date, they had nothing on the couple at the table to our right:

"I was thinking about Austin, but somebody was telling me it gets really hot and humid there."

"It is Texas."

"Yeah, but I mean really hot. Like over 100 degrees."

"Yeah, sometimes."

"No it doesn't!"

"Uh... yeah, I think sometimes it does."

"Oh, come on! Right. Like it can really get over 100 degrees and people not die. That would boil your blood. Or at least water would be boiling!"

"Oh. No that's 100 degrees Celsius."

"What?"

"Celsius. Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius. Not Fahrenheit.

"Like Fahrenheit 911?"

"What?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I'm talking about water boiling at 100 degrees. That's 100 degrees Celsius. Not 100 degrees Fahrenheit."

"Okay, I think we're misunderstanding each other. I'm just talking about 100 degrees outside."

3 comments:

Kelly said...

However did you contain yourself? I would have been doubled over in fits of laughter.

grindchopblend said...

That is priceless! What restaurant were you in?

KB said...

That was an Alki Cafe classic.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena