Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How my momma raised me

There was a time when my mom was a damn fine hippy, drugged up and peaced out in all her long-haired glory. And then the '80s happened. But even with mountainous shoulder pads and a feathered body wave, she managed to teach me to eat tofu, give peace a chance, and tread lightly on the earth, man.

So I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the fact that there are no recycling receptacles at my new job. Do you know what I've been doing for the last 3+ weeks? I've been throwing paper away. IN THE GARBAGE. Not to mention pop cans, water bottles, and beer bottles. (Yes, beer bottles. Every Friday.) And I swear to you, I can hear the trees screaming and the dolphins dying and the landfills filling.

Apparently these are sounds I can only tolerate for three weeks, because on Monday - the first day of my fourth week - I actually started saving my recyclable waste in a neat little stack on my desk, and bringing it home with me at the end of the day to be disposed of properly. None of my coworkers have noticed yet, but I can't wait until one of them spots me sneaking an empty yogurt container into my purse.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I would do the same thing! lol

My son's school doesn't have any recycling bins either and it drives me nuts!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena