Friday, November 09, 2007

Classic working mother moment

This morning I got trapped on a piece of playground equipment.

I was dropping The Kid off at school early so that I could make it to a morning meeting, which means that I had to drop him off at the (supervised) playground instead of his classroom. I added his backpack to the pile of bags at the edge of the play area and followed him onto the big toy to get my goodbye hug.

And that's when it happened.

As I turned to leave, I felt a strange sinking feeling - not so much in my heart, the most common locale for a sinking feeling, but in my foot. I looked down and realized I was standing on a metal grated bridge, with holes just large enough to swallow the heel of my left shoe. Cute. I wiggled around for a second or two trying to dislodge myself. And then another second or two. And then a few more. I quickly scanned the playground to see if anyone had noticed yet that I couldn't move, and then bent over, grabbed onto the shoe and gave it a good yank.

Nothing.

I spent the next several minutes bent over the hostage shoe. My mom ass - draped in the bright red fabric of my trendy trench coat - waved high in the air, attracting children like bulls to a matador's cape. They stood around assessing the situation and adding insightful comments like "It's stuck," and asking helpful questions like "Why are you wearing high heels on the toys anyway?" and offering words of encouragement like "I think you're just going to have to go to work with one shoe."

It quickly became clear that the shoe was going to have to suffer a superficial wound in order to be saved: the black plastic nub that's nailed to the bottom of the heel was going to have to be amputated and reattached at a later date. Bracing the nub against the bottom of the grate, I pulled until the heel slid from its bonds, leaving the nub to fall to the bark below. As a hundred little children darted under the bridge to retrieve it, I gingerly made my way over the bridge.

And that's when my right heel sunk through.

Needless to say, I was late for my meeting.

1 comment:

Ann said...

"My mom ass - draped in the bright red fabric of my trendy trench coat - waved high in the air, attracting children like bulls to a matador's cape."

OMG!!!! That is halarious! Great post.

sorry about your shoes. :(

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena