Friday, September 28, 2007

Culture, as explored through a shameful overuse of youtube

One of the best things about fall in rainy Seattle is that it makes me feel okay about planning hours of indoor activities. I loves me some live performance, and have completed my annual perusal of my usual haunts' seasons. LOTS I want to see this year:

To Kill a Mockingbird, Intiman Theatre. I loved the set, and the kids were AMAZING. The rest of it was alright. But I'm probably hyper-critical since this is one of my favorite books of all time, and you know how it goes: the book is always better. Still, I'd recommend it. It runs through November 10.

Mozart's Requiem, Benaroya Hall, Oct 13. Is it wrong that this was my first introduction to Mozart?

Oh, who am I kidding? This was my first introduction to Mozart:


Pinback, Showbox, Oct 22. Not exactly high art, but still pretty awesome.


Nugent + Matteson Dance, Velocity Mainspace Theater, Oct 27. One piece is performed by Jen Nugent and Paul Matteson; the other by local company, d9 Dance Collective.

Feist, The Paramount, November 7. Some people adamantly claim that nothing good ever came from Toronto. I beg to differ.


The Big Friendly Giant, Seattle Children's Theater, November 10. One for The Kid. We'll read the book first, so that he can be adequately disappointed by the play.

Compagnie La Baraka, Meany Hall, Nov 16. This show is being billed as a "brilliant synthesis of contemporary and hip-hop styles," which reminds me of the time in college when our regular contemporary ballet professor was out sick and the only sub (grad student) available that day was Rob Kitsos, who spent the 1-1/2 hours teaching us old skool break dance. And laughing at us. A brilliant synthesis we were not.




Scott/Powell Performance, "Geography," On the Boards, Nov 17. Check out some photos.

Faustin Linyekula/Les Studios Kabako, "Festival of Lies," On the Boards, December 1. "Choreographer Faustin Linyekula woke up one morning to find that his war-torn country had a new name. In response, he created Festival of Lies..."


Washington Ensemble Theatre, "Blahblahblahbang (a pistol fit in one act)," On the Boards, Dec 15. WET "boldly re-imagines the Ibsen classic Hedda Gabler. "


Radiohole, "Fluke," On the Boards, Jan 12. I want to see this because it boasts strange peek-a-boo technology that whispers in my ear. I have no idea what that means, but I'm hoping the whispers are sweet nothings. I could use some love.


La Compania Nacional de Danza, Meany Hall, February 29. I'm a little concerned that I'm going to be overcome with desire to rush out and buy diamonds.




Tonya Lockyer, "Consumed," On the Boards, March 29. Once upon a time, I was this flexible.


Black Grace, Meany Hall, April 5. It's the Sesame Street "1 2 3 4 5" thing that gets me.


Zoe Scofield and Juniper Shuey, "The Devil You Know is Better Than the Devil You Don't," On the Boards, April 26. This woman has blown my mind before; here's hoping she can do it again.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena