Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dear cardiovascular system,

For the past 31 years, you have been sufficiently trucking along, with lots of dependable beating and circulating of blood and other related activities. I've been very happy with you, but you? You've been expressing some concerns lately, and you're right - I have been taking you for granted. I'm sure it hasn't been easy for you to sit back and watch while my legs and belly received all the attention. But please try to understand that I was young and vain, and maintaining a nice set of gams was the extent of my "health" concerns. Rest assured, I've heard your pleas. Really heard them. And now that I've reached the age of reason and practicality, now that reading a book tops the list of "best ways to spend a weekend", now that I'm equally excited by the prospect of a new dishwasher as a new pair of shoes, now I can recognize that securing a flat stomach is slightly less important than securing an alert heart that doesn't quietly decide to take a nap sometime during my 40s.

As a woman of action, I hereby promise to do something about it. It's not going to be easy. We're going to struggle, and sweat, and gasp for breath. But I have committed us to twice weekly cardio classes during lunch. Together, you and I can do anything. And the anything that you and I will be doing? Putting my ass back where it belongs. Because I'm just as vain as I ever was.

Much love,
Your host

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena