Wednesday, January 03, 2007

MY letter to a Christian Nation

I recently finished reading Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris. He's a little hard core (I don't think I'd ever go so far as referring to raising one's children with religion an obscenity), but he makes some good arguments. Of course, he makes a lot of my arguments, which may be why I liked the book. But really, it takes all of an hour to read cover to cover, so what've you got to lose?

Personally (and quite unlike Mr. Harris) I've got no issues with other people believing in any god(s). I'm an atheist myself, but I'm willing to admit that there's a possibility - however minute - that I could be wrong. And that's where the majority of what issue I do have with religions comes in: it seems to me that there is a very, very fine line separating faith from unadulterated arrogance, and there is a startling number of folks who fall on the arrogant side of that line.

You don't know that your religion is the "right" religion. You don't know that your book is the "right" book. And even within one religion - Christianity, say - you don't know that your way of worshiping your god is the "right" way to worship. You believe these things. You may believe them with every fiber in your body. There may be no question in your mind that you are following the right path. But there is a difference between believing and knowing. There is a difference between faith and fact. And yet many of us (See there, how I just moved from "you" to "us" so as to include myself and be less offensive? Pure genius.) use our religious beliefs - or lack thereof - as an excuse to belittle, hate, persecute, segregate, and - in some cases - annihilate others simply for believing something different. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be a Bible thumpin' Jesus freak if that's what works for you. But let's at least be honest and admit that we're all just working off our personal best guesses. Every one of us has an equal shot at getting it right, and every one of us could be utterly wrong.

Except the atheists. Clearly.

Coming soon: The story of how I lost my religion. Move over Micheal Stipe.

1 comment:

inwardtruth said...

I wonder, would you say that there is right and wrong?

Also as a good read can I suggest, Can man live without God? by Ravi Zacharias. It too is very thought provoking.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena