Thursday, January 18, 2007

The cutting room floor

As is often the case, many of my friends were treated to a selection of my musical recommendations via a CD masquerading as a Christmas gift. The goal is always to include one song from each of my favorite albums purchased during the year, but inevitably I have more than what'll fit on one CD and in a Sophie's Choice type desperation, I'm forced to select a few to be left behind. Those that didn't make the cut are listed below, along with an explanatory eulogy.
  1. Bob Dylan ~ Modern Times. Because I only had so much room, and no one needs to be told that Bob Dylan rocks.
  2. The Raconteurs ~ Broken Boy Soldiers. Again, I only had so much room, and The Raconteurs are sort of a no brainer. But mmm mmm, I do love me some Jack White. He's my ugly sexy boyfriend.
  3. Snow Patrol ~ Eyes Open. Because I refuse to admit that I like them.
  4. Citizen Cope ~ Every Waking Moment. Because it's basically the same as his last album, only not nearly as good.
  5. Bobby Bare Jr. ~ The Longest Meow. Again, I was addicted to the last album, but this one? Meh.
  6. M. Ward ~ Post-War. Despite the fact that more than one attractive man told me to buy this album, I just never quite got into it.
  7. Ane Brun ~ A Temporary Dive. There are two really good songs on the entire album, and even they get a little warbly there at the end.
And, because it would be silly to list only the losers, here are the albums that did put in an appearance on my mixed tape (with explanation only when I feel like it):
  1. Built to Spill ~ You in Reverse. Because you can not deny the rambling, meandering beauty that is Built to Spill.
  2. The Flaming Lips ~ At War with the Mystics.
  3. Tom Waits ~ Orphans. When I was younger, Tom Waits was one of the reasons I thought my dad was weird. As an adult, Tom Waits is one of the reasons I know my dad was cool.
  4. The Decemberists ~ The Crane Wife.
  5. Rocky Votolato ~ Makers.
  6. Damien Rice ~ 9.
  7. Regina Spektor ~ Begin to Hope.
  8. Yo La Tengo ~ I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass. Best album title ever.
  9. Thom Yorke ~ The Eraser.
  10. Cerys Matthews ~ Never Said Goodbye.
  11. Band of Horses ~ Everything All the Time.
  12. The Long Winters ~ Putting the Days to Bed.
  13. Fink ~ Biscuits for Breakfast.
  14. Beck ~ The Information.
  15. Bitter:Sweet ~ The Mating Game.
  16. Jehro ~ Jehro. I got sick of Seattle guitar for a while, and found myself listening to some French dude singing Spanish. Go figure.
  17. Sparklehorse ~ Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain.
  18. Cat Power ~ The Greatest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lovely CD.
Sounds.
Like.
A.
Lovely.

I mean, honestly.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena