Wednesday, December 06, 2006

This too shall pass

I'm not what you'd call lucky. The 24 hour period of time described here was a bad day, sure - but not necessarily an exceptionally bad day. Eventually I always end up at fine - sometimes even at very well, thank you - it's just that my journey to fine tends to include an unusual number of potholes along the way.

Today's pothole: termites. Yes, termites. "But you live in a brick house!" you exclaim. Yes. Yes, I do. But subterranean termites don't care about the exterior of your house, since they come up through the floor. So pardon me, Mr. Orkin Man, I stand corrected: I do NOT have an ant problem, and I shouldn't have called you a jackass. So, how does one treat subterranean termites? By treating the soil around the structure. And how, exactly does one do that? By digging a trench ALL THE WAY AROUND said structure. A trench. All the way around said structure. And if one happens to have driveways on either side of one's house, and BRAND NEW raised beds in the front that one happened to build with one's own two hands not more than two months ago? Well, one best get out one's jack hammer and start digging 'em up.

No idea how I'm to finance this little venture, but here's the thing: I'm not worried. Denial? Yes, probably in part. But mostly, I'm just a damn good coper. I roll with the punches. I take my lemons and make lemonade. That which does not kill me makes me stronger, and all that bs. I don't know where or when I picked up my coping skills - I certainly wasn't born this way - but I've made my way into some pretty rough shit in my life, and I always manage to emerge okay.

Cars and furnaces and wet basements and locked parking garages and face plants in the snow and mice and termites? Ha! I've lived through an evil step-mother. I've lived through a psychotic step-father. I've seen my father through rehab. I've held my mother's puke bowl during chemo. I lost nine family members in one year. I lost my dad when I was 7 months pregnant. I birthed a child with no drugs. I've been through a divorce. Actually, forget the divorce, I've been through a MARRIAGE. I've been through a long, dark depression and dealt with years of my own self-pity. I WORK WITH ATTORNEYS, for chrissake. It's going to take a helluva lot more than termites to bring me down. I've got all my life to give. I've got all my love to give, and I'll survive. I will survive. Hey hey.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena