Monday, October 30, 2006

Getting by with a little help from my friends

Two friends in the last couple weeks have emailed me contributions for my blog. I'm not sure if this is because my writing has become stale and they're desperately trying to save themselves from yet another snoozer of a post, or if they LOVE my blog - need it like a drug - and just want to feel a part of something so wonderful, so groundbreaking, so important. Either way, I'll take them - lord knows I could use some inspiration from time to time.

As such, today's post comes at the behest of a relatively recent transplant from the east coast. He's voiced a few complaints against Seattle in the past: the ubiquity of goatees, the socks with sandals thing (which, I would like to point out, bothers A LOT of the natives too), our resistance to crossing against the light, our general passiveness, our reflexive liberalism. And, like most transplants, he's a bit befuddled by the complex rules and regulations governing casual conversation. Which is why when he sent me a link to this Seattle Weekly column and swore he didn't write the first letter, I had a very hard time believing him.

I'll save my comments on this particular letter, since Uptight Seattleite does a pretty good job of breaking down the proper way to express a dissenting opinion. But I'll offer up a couple other pieces of advise to outsiders on conversing with the natives:

1. "We should get together sometime" does NOT mean we'd like to get together sometime. It's just idle conversation, right up there with comments on the weather. To respond with an enthusiastic nod and the offer of your phone number is the equivalent of telling someone how you actually are doing instead of just saying "fine" and moving on. It's totally inappropriate, and no one cares.

2. When we say "the mountain," please don't ask us which one. To a Seattleite, "the mountain" can only mean Mt. Rainier, much the same way "the city" can only mean Manhattan to a New Yorker. And when we say "the mountain is out," we are referring to the fact that it is not obscured by clouds, NOT that it has finally fessed up to its homosexuality. And seriously people, it's not named for our weather. Please stop pronouncing it "rain-i-er," as though it rains more on this particular mountain than on others in the country. Two syllables, my friends. Rain. Ear. You know, like the beer.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena