Monday, June 05, 2006

Book Report: The da Vinci Code

This has to be the most controversial piece of literature I've ever forced myself to read. Assuming, that is, that you define controversial as "the same old shit people have been fighting over since the dawn of time" (the dawn of time, of course, being when God may or may not have created Adam and Eve and Eve may or may not have eaten the forbidden fruit that may or may not have fucked it up for the rest of us). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm getting a little tired of this particular subject matter.

Some would argue, including the author himself I believe, that his intent was not to make a statement or incite controversy, but simply to write a mystery novel. If that's truly the case, you can't blame him for choosing the mystery-shrouded holy grail as the topic. However, I'm forced to point out that the whole allure of a mystery/thriller is the mystery and the thrill, something there is very little of in this book. A note to the author: you might want to ease up on the rather obtrusive foreshadowing.

In case you haven't already guessed, I didn't much care for the book. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's certainly not good enough to warrant all this frenzy.

What annoys me most isn't the book itself, but the fervor with which people have latched onto the theories it presents. If you'd like to argue that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were doin' the nasty, go for it. If you'd like to argue that the church rewrote history and murdered non-believers, be my guest. I'll probably feel inclined to agree with you on both counts. But for the love of all that is good and holy (or not so holy, in keeping with the situation), please, please, please use something other than a work of fiction to support your argument. Especially those of you who, prior to reading this book, would have guessed that Mary Magdalene was one of the Olsen twins.

Nothing irritates me more than when people who don't know what they're talking about insist on talking about it anyway. (Though it's okay when I do it. I'm brilliant even in my ignorance.)

And now you know my opinion. Though, to be fair, perhaps I should have prefaced the whole thing with a disclaimer outlining my distaste for the mystery genre in general. Regardless, I can promise you that this particular book-turned-movie will not be taking up valuable space on my netflix queue.

1 comment:

Angry Dissenter said...

Mary Magdelene wasn't one of the Olsen twins?

I'm so confused. I'd better just watch an Adam Sandler movie . . .

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena