Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day!

When The Kid knocked on my bedroom door this morning demanding his breakfast, I stood my ground and insisted on a good morning hug before I would even consider getting out of bed. He grudgingly crawled in bed with me and loosely flung his little arms around my neck. Pushing my luck, I gently prodded, "What do you say to Mommy?" He let out an exasperated sigh and said, "Happy Valentine's Day."

Eh. Close enough. I agreed to get out of bed, but withheld the milk for his cereal as punishment.

The rest of the morning was spent on hours of house cleaning and tending to an unusually cranky child. That and trying to fight the slight annoyance at having to share my day - MY day, dammit - and honor my own mother.

The Kid cooked dinner for my mom and me. By "cooked" I mean he planned the menu (hotdogs, salad, watermelon, grapes, and lemonade, with lemon sorbet and licorice for desert) and assisted in bringing the water to a boil.

After dinner, The Kid traded unusually cranky for unusually calm and cuddly, which is when I discovered he was also unusually warm. The next several hours were devoted to caring for a sick child getting ever sicker by the minute, freely sharing his saliva through several very wet sneezes.

It's not exactly the way I envisioned spending my Mother's Day. It was thoroughly unenjoyable from start to finish. Except for that little bit at the end when, as I was tucking him in, The Kid said, "Mommy, can you rub my back for a minute. It makes me feel better." And I sat there and rubbed his back until he fell asleep. Right before he started with the tell-tale leg twitches, he told me he loves me.

That's right. I'm his mommy, and I fix hurts. Strangely fitting for the last hours of a Mother's Day.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena