Thursday, December 08, 2005

Oh dear god

A coworker lost a son yesterday. He was killed in a snowboarding accident. He was 30. I just found out about it this morning, and I can't quite pull myself together. As a parent, I can't even begin to tell you how devestating just the idea of losing a child is. I had a dream once that Riley died. Even after waking up and crawling into bed with my obviously alive son, I sobbed the rest of the night. And continued to sob, on and off, for the next couple days. That was just a dream. I can't even begin to fathom the real thing. And I don't want to. I would die - instantly - if Riley were gone. I would cease to exist. I may still be breathing, heart beating, technically alive. But I would be dead. I would lose my mind. I'm sure of it. People's children should NOT die. Even their grown children. It's not right. It's not fair. (And anyone thinking "life isn't fair" can go fuck themselves.)

My deepest, deepest sympathies, grossly inadequate as they are, are extended to his family.

2 comments:

Other Office Guy said...

Amen to that.

Jacque said...

Odd and a bit sad that I read about it in the Times earlier but it didn't strike me as truly tragic until your post and the realization that a family lost someone.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena