Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was part way through a post complaining about my less than ideal Thanksgiving plans/obligations, when it occurred to me that I'm a total hypocrite. Last night, I began the age-old mom tradition of forcing my child to tell me everything he's thankful for. (For the record: toys, his blankey, and - after much prodding - his mommy.) And then as soon as I dropped him off at Daddy's for the day, I started internally whining about all the crap I have to deal with today. My attitude sucks!

The realization strikes me so suddenly, I actually hear bells. Oh, wait... that's the phone ringing. It's my mom calling to tell me that her close friend's brother had a massive heart attack last night, and isn't expected to live through the day. She had to take Friend to the airport this morning, which means she missed breakfast with an old woman she visits at a nearby nursing home - a woman who has family in the area, none of whom can be bothered to visit her on the holidays.

Okay Universe, please stop killing people and abandoning lonely old women. I get it. I have a lot to be thankful for. If I make a list, will you stop killing? Please?

In addition to all the usuals that ought to go without saying (my kid, my family, my friends, my health, my house, my job), I am also thankful for:
  1. Chips. We covered this in last night's post, but let me be more specific: sour cream & onion and cool ranch Doritos.
  2. Jellybellys. Especially pear.
  3. My copy of Alice's Restaurant. To neglect listening to it in its entirety every Thanksgiving was considered a cardinal sin by my pops.
  4. Jon Stewart.
  5. The smell of a new book.
  6. occasional moments of peace and quiet.
  7. Cheap beer and strong whiskey.
  8. Shoes.
  9. The fact that the car that was blocking my driveway has removed itself.
  10. A well cooked meal with family.

Numbers 9 and 10 remind me: my driveway is open and I have a well-cooked meal with family to get to.

Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena