Wednesday, November 30, 2005

By way of explanation

I have a friend who is very good at looking out for my best interests, and is convinced that I should be more upset by the fact that there may be men out there who don't want to date me just because of my kid. She is quite offended by it and doesn't understand why I'm not. Admittedly, when I first started dating I thought it would bother me more than it does, but there are very good reasons that it doesn't. Here's the deal:
  1. I am the mother of my child. I'm programmed to love him, and I do - very much. But he's a pain in my ass at least half the time. I'm okay with that because he's mine, but it's asking a lot of someone to put up with ass pain that he didn't specifically breed.
  2. It's complicated. There are schedules to work around, sitters to find, very little room for spontaneity, and no guarantee that plans aren't going to fall through at the last minute due to a vomiting child. Relationships are difficult enough without vomiting children.
  3. I can't imagine my life without him, and am happy to put up with the relatively slight inconveniences that come with him. I would gladly be single for the rest of my life if my choices were between "single mom" and "boyfreinded barrenness."
  4. I would do anything for the kid. I would swallow shards of glass if it would keep him from feeling pain. I would save him from a burning building by putting out the flames with nothing more than my own spit. Comparatively, missing out on a few dates is pretty minor.
  5. Besides, take away my kid and there are still exactly 127 perfectly legitimate reasons to not date me, so I don't really see what the difference is one way or the other.

It should be stated though, just for the record, that my kid's pretty damn awesome. And even if he wasn't, I'm TOTALLY worth it.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena